Council Member Jim Hensley
Jim Hensley was elected on to the Port Hueneme City Council on November 4, 2014 and took the oath of office on December 15, 2014. Jim is a military veteran having served 20 years honorably, 15 in the U.S. Army and 5 years in the USAF.
Known to be an effective community activist, he currently serves (or has served) the community with the following organizations:
- Ventura County Transportation Commission's Citizen Transportation Advisory Committee representing the City of Port Hueneme.
- Regional Defense Partnership for the 21st Century (RDP-21) Member.
- Jim Hensley's weekly digital "Events Log" listing nonprofit events and programs in Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles counties at no fee.
- Executive Director of Waterproofing Kids a 501(c)3 non-profit Public Benefit Corporation.
- Publisher and National Coordinator for the Alaska Communication System/Washington Alaska Military Cable and Telegraph System "ACS/WAMCATS" Association and annual conventions in Seattle, Washington.
- Member "Working Blue Democratic Club."
- Malibu Democratic Club, Board of Directors, Meetings Chair
- Charter Member and Deputy District Director (6 years) for the League of United Latin American Citizens
- Ormond Beach Wetlands Task Force
- Sierra Club Member and Activist
- Ventura County CoastKeepers/Wishtoyo Foundation member
- Warm Water Workout trainer for seniors at Hueneme Bay Seniors Community, 10 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Hueneme Bay Pool
- Past Director, Channel Islands Beach Community Services District Board (moved out of district)
- Former member, Channel Islands Beach Community Emergency Response Team (moved out of district)
- Former Delegate - California Democratic 41st
- Assembly District Former Delegate - California Democratic Convention Region Number 10
- Past President - Greater Oxnard Organization of Democrats (Good Club)
- Former Member - Ventura County Democratic Central Committee and State Delegate for 6 years. After retirement from the military, Jim worked in the broadcasting industry for seven years, three years in newspapers, then started "All American Asphalt Contractors" as general manager with his son Greg Hensley for nine years. After retirement from the contracting business, he dedicated his work day life to various community projects and services.
Education & Background
Much of Jim's education was earned while serving in the Army. Because of frequent assignments he earned more than 60 units at nine different universities and colleges, including trained and certified by the Xerox Learning Center in Leesburg, Virginia as an instructor in Motivational Management and Professional Sales which he then facilitated training skills military recruiting, retention seminar, public speaking, promotions, publicity and interfacing with the media. After military retirement he taught at the Learning Tree in Thousand Oaks, California and continues to facilitate elements of the seminars occasionally.