Permit Information & Requirements
Encroachment Permits are issued by the Public Works Department and are required whenever an obstruction is within the City road right-of-way or City easement. Such work would include utility installations and repairs, roadway and drainage improvements by developers, driveway construction, sidewalk repair, filming of motion pictures and still photography, or placement of obstructions in the right-of-way such as fences, trees, poles, and overhead structures.
Phone Numbers to Call Prior
Contact the City three working days prior to start of construction at 805-986-6507 and your inspector will return your call to discuss inspection requirements. Contact Underground Service Alert (USA) toll free at 811, three working days prior to digging or excavation.
Successful completion of an Encroachment Permit Application includes:
- Completed application with applicants name and address, City Business License number and State Contractors License number for each contractor working within the City right-of-way or City easement.
- Submit scale drawings, sketch or written description and limits of work to be completed in City right-of-way or City easement.
- Provide Certificate of Insurance with Endorsements (see handout of City Requirements) for each contractor working within the City right-of-way or City easement.
- Contractors working within the City right-of-way or City easement are required to have either a Class A, C-12 or C-34 license. C31 may perform traffic control services when there is no physical construction to the City right-of-way or City easement.
- A contractor with a Class C-36 license may work in the City right-of-way or City easement in conjunction with a Class A, C-12 or C-34 to complete street paving.
- When working in the roadway submit a traffic control plan for City approval. If you do not have an approved traffic control plan, a permit will not be issued.
- Pay the encroachment fee (amount to be determined based on the amount and type of work intended). Make check payable to: City of Port Hueneme. Credit Cards accepted at City Hall.
- When all of the above are acceptable, we will assign an Encroachment Permit number, sign the permit and issue a copy to you and forward the original to our inspector.
- Before beginning work, read all attached conditions of the Encroachment Permit, 24 hours prior to beginning work, call Public Works Inspector at 805-986-6507.
- Maintain permit on site for duration of construction.
Transportation/Oversize Load Permit
The City of Port Hueneme requires a Transportation Permit authorizing operation or movement, upon City streets, of vehicles and loads of a size and/or weight allowed in California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 35701 and by City of Port Hueneme Municipal Code(s):
- Division 12. - Restricted Use of Certain Streets
- 3290 - Restricting trucks to certain routes
- 3290.1 - Truck routes designated
- Single Trip Permit Form (PDF)
- Annual Permit Form (PDF)
- Transportation Permit Policy (PDF)
Acceptable Forms of Payment
American Express, Discover, Visa or MasterCard by email. Please include:
- Card number
- Expiration date
- 3 digit code on back of card
Permits are not issued until payment is rendered.